Saturday, September 22, 2012

Colorful Creations Guest Designer Sketch Challenge

Sup!
Okay, September's Guest Designer over at Colorful Creations is Yuka Hino. You can check out her blog here. She is amazing. Her layouts are so intricate. At any rate she provided Colorful Creations with a sketch challenge. Here is the sketch:

Here is my take on the sketch:
This is Them Saubert Kids. My Uncle Jim, Aunt Mary and the little one there is my mom. I'm guessing this was taken on Easter (back then picturies were only taken on special occasions) circa 1954 since my mom looks about 5 here. They were still living in NYC then.


The picture does not do a good job of conveying how handsome my Uncle Jim ended up being. I don't know which is worse, those ears, that horrible over Brylcreamed hair or that ill fitting jacket. I guess it all works together to create this, I gotta say it, nerdy image. My Aunt Mary, whom I believe to be the most beautiful lady to ever grace the planet, manages to look pretty even though she seems mad here. This is probably one of the last pictures my mom smiled in for 15 years. She is not a fan of smiling in pictures. She looks sweet here but she is really about as feisty as they come.

I went with a heavily distressed look and I wanted the title to convey something a neighbor might say. "Those Saubert kids are out playing again." Something like that. I didn't do much in the way of special techniques but do like the way it turned out overall.

Materials Used:
Papers - EP - Times & Seasons Collection (Great collection if you want something with an old timey feel that isn't too feminine.
Stick pins - Maya Road
Flowers - Jolee's Boutique for the 2 cloth ones and the crocheted one is Colorbok Victorian Parlor.
Paper Die Cuts - Maya Road and My Minds Eye.
The Clip on the photo is Tim Holtz and the paper clip on the journaling card is Paper Studio.

There ya have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment